Tuesday, April 8, 2008

I've fallen, and I can't seem to find my way back up, but it's rather nice down here....not Temperpedic nice, but....

Staring at this empty space, just below the empty space that suggests a title.

I can remember, years ago, writing a little note to a girl I was fond of, during a typing class I took in high school.

Side note: When I was in high school, we learned typing on something they called "a typewriter". These ancient artifacts to the formality of the scribble were unpowered, and when you made a mistake, it wasn't necessarily an easy fix. More than likely it was time to start over. And don't get me started on carbon paper....

Anyway, I was writing this note. And it got out of hand. It went from an innocuous note to a stream of consciousness monologue the likes that would make Groucho Marx green with envy. And when it was finished, I gave it to her.

And as she read it, she laughed.
Not a derisive laugh, mind you; not the kind of laugh you dreaded in high school, that kind of laugh that made you feel isolated; but the kind of laugh that showed a kind of appreciation.

The thing is, I didn't really have anything to say in the note.

Almost thirty years later, I am embarrassed by the fact that I have nothing of relevance to say.

SO.

In deference to the lee tide I seem to be living through, I give you more random thoughts.

I know what cottage cheese is. And I know what french fries are. I'm confused about something called "cottage fries." It would seem to me that this particular food group cannot exist, because cottage cheese is a liquid and french fries are a tortured potato.

When I was a child, I thought the church I went to accepted cannibalism, because in every service they would delicately hand out the body and blood of Christ, and people would consume it.

A couple of nights ago, I watched Lewis Black's THE ROOT OF ALL EVIL. It was very funny. I encourage you to watch.

I took two IQ tests yesterday. One said my IQ was 49, which I believe means I shouldn't even be able to dress myself. I believe they referred to me as "profoundly retarded." The other said my IQ was 140. Now that I think about it, the fact that I wanted to show that I wasn't "profoundly retarded" makes me "somewhat retarded."

The taxes are done.
I can remember when I would have to pay taxes, I would send along a little note, saying, "none of this money is to be used for military purposes."
Think it worked?

I am hoping that this feeling of lethargy passes soon, and that writing becomes more of a pleasure and less of a burden.

2 comments:

Kizz said...

Thanks for just writing anyway, even when it doesn't feel good.

Are cottage fries the ones that are sort of waffle cut and almost like potato chips?

Gertrude said...

Well its always a pleasure to read your writing.
I am a member of the typewriter club. And I love that! Carbon paper... yes, yes, yes.
Cottage fries are thick, tasty potatoes. They usually have the skins on them.
Speaking of skin... hysterical! The blood of Christ. Hannibal.
Jesus tastes good.