Sunday, April 13, 2008

I truly intended to write something without ranting. You know, like a story or something.

I despair for my former profession.

Most of the time, I despair at not being a part of my former profession, but that's water under the bridge, sand through the hourglass, and these are the current days of my life. I'll get back to it when the world is ready for my one-man show that brings the brooding melancholy of HAMLET together with the simple joy that is GREEN EGGS AND HAM. I call it, "OMELETTE, or GREEN EGGS AND HAMLET!"

Just kidding.

Or, am I?

Back to despairing for my former profession.

As I have said oodles and oodles of times before, actors should NEVER NEVER NEVER do interviews about acting. I say this for the following reasons:

1. Half of the people interviewed during the so-called INSIDE THE ACTOR'S STUDIO program have never EVER set foot inside the ACTOR'S STUDIO. I mean, seriously: Dave Chappelle? Will Smith? Tom Cruise? Are these TRULY the finest examples of Strasberg's Method that we have in this country?

2. I recently heard an actress commenting on Heath Ledger's performances, to wit: "They were really brilliant, because they came from truth." THEY CAME FROM TRUTH. Insert "NO SHIT, SHERLOCK" here.

I will be the first to admit, and abhor, that what the world perceives as a brilliant performance is nothing more than re-heated crap fondue. In this day and age, in that fallen city known as Hollyweird, anybody with two percent body fat and the ability to get it right before the tape runs out can be an "actor." No training required. It's a natural ability.

Bullshit.

We used to tell a joke about Tom Cruise. We used to say "I really liked that movie where he played that cocky young guy."

Being an actor doesn't mean you get to play yourself.
Being an actor means you put yourself aside and play Prospero....or Agammemnon.....or anybody out of your age, social, or psychological range. And STILL MAKE IT COME FROM TRUTH.

So, I guess we're going to be waiting patiently for one of the Olsen's to pick up Lady M.

1 comment:

Kizz said...

It should be called Homlette and you should get started writing it now.

I would actually pay the Olsen twins NOT to do Lady M.