Thursday, March 6, 2008

Random Roundup.....

There's a book sale at the local library today.

I love book sales like I love candy; and I'm a man who'd sell his soul for a good piece of chocolate.

Mmmmm.....chocolate......

Wait. I had a point here. Oh, yes! Book sale today!

Chocolate causes amnesia.
Or, is it Milk that causes amnesia? Milk of Amnesia? Or is that Magnesia, which to my mind is a kind of SUPER Amnesia?

Book sale!

There's something about going to estate auctions and library book sales and used book stores. Sometimes, you can find a treasure that they don't even know they possess. It doesn't always work, though....for example, at John King's Used Book Store in Detroit, they know EXACTLY what they have, and what it's worth...and if you want it, you'll pay dearly for it. But other places....well....

Examples:

A library sale in Keokuk, Iowa, sold me a first edition of PT Barnum's Autobiography for a dime. FIRST EDITION! (Not mint, but still....)

A small used book store in Lexington, Kentucky sold me a first edition of Harpo Marx's Autobiography for two bucks. This was back when it was out of print (it has since returned to print).

A used book store in Marquette, Michigan sold me a copy of Asimov's Guide to Shakepeare (also out of print at the time) for a buck. I'm not sure this one has come back into print, but it's a great research tool.

An antique store here in Bismarck sold me the two volume set of the Annotated Sherlock Holmes (the original by Baring-Gould) for three dollars.

Today, I search for bargains.....if I can find hardbacks of the first Stephen King novels......editions of Leon Uris.......Allan Eckert......Rex Stout in hardback.....and hopefully something will jump out and say "booga booga."

Other stuff:

Have been jonesing for a Hilltop Sweet Roll. If you have never been to Lanse, Michigan, in the beautiful Upper Peninsula, then you've missed out on the largest Sweet Roll ever created. It's as big as your head. And heavens, they're tasty! If you don't believe me, check them out at www.sweetroll.com.

I see a headline in the entertainment section of my server that asks: "is America ready for a gay 'idol'?" What? Wasn't Clay Aiken gay?

And doesn't calling the show "American Idol" violate some kind of commandment? Is there a smiting in our future? Or, have we already been smote?

Other other stuff:

I was watching the Republican make an acceptance speech after the latest round of primaries. It was a good speech, but was marred by his absolute failure at selling the thing.....look, pal, STOP LOOKING AT THE TELEPROMPTER, or at least PUT THE TELEPROMPTER IN FRONT OF YOU SO YOU DON'T HAVE TO KEEP LOOKING OFF TO YOUR LEFT! Nothing bothers me more than a politician reading a speech somebody wrote for him, and not even bothering to commit it to memory.

If I had my wish, all politicians would have to write their own speeches. There's no better way of discovering that your candidate is a lamebrain than by making him write down his thoughts.

Is our children learning?
Am our country?

And lastly:

I miss The Far Side.
And Bloom County.

3 comments:

Kizz said...

Asimov's Guide to Shakespeare? I'm so intrigued.

Historiclemo said...

Asimov's Guide to Shakespeare, originally published in two volumes, published by Avenel Press in 1978. ISBN 0-517-26825-6. It's a great research tool. It's more about what was going on at the time the play was written, rather than the plays themsleves.

Asimov was a genius, y'know.

Gertrude said...

Clemo, dear Clemo.
I am going to downsize my book collection and I have many Signed copies of Stephen King firsts. I would love to find them a home. Of course if you would commit to loving them and taking care of them I would be thrilled to send them your way. The signature is unconfirmed but they were purchased from a reliable source.
Asimov, yes, the man wrote his on Bible. He is genius.
Let me know about the King's and I will send them along.