Sunday, December 1, 2013

Meandering.

A month ago, I made arrangements to see a fellow named Joe Henry in concert in Minneapolis.  I knew Joe briefly, many years ago, and attended an impromptu concert he put on while we were all young and in high school; I think that was the spring of 1978.  and now, a little over 35 years later, I'm going to sit and watch again.

His sister, Cathy will be there, and has been instrumental in getting me to go.

Instrumental, as in, "Hey, Joe's doing a concert in Minneapolis, you wanna go?"

Cathy was a stalwart companion during the early years of high school.  And I haven't seen her in about 33 years.  Give or take.

I'll be heading that way on Tuesday; and you'll never guess......we're expecting a blizzard and bitterly cold temperatures starting...well...Tuesday.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

And probably going anyway.

On Friday morning, something happened in my head; perhaps some of the unsightly calcium buildup in my brain shifted or something, but I suddenly remembered doing a play that I had so thoroughly repressed that it was a shock when the dim recollection came roaring back to full-bright.

It was a play called....gulp.....Opal's Million Dollar Duck.  And I wish I could say it was in my youth, but it was a production at the old Golden Eagle Riverboat.  It must've been 1988, or 1989.  I have no other specific recollection, except that the woman playing the title character seemed to think she WAS the title character, and I remember a scene when I was supposed to try to brain her with a baseball bat and she kept screwing up the timing (mostly because she had no timing) and since I was behind her she had no idea how close she came to leaking brain fluid out of her ears.

I don't remember anything else about it.  I don't remember any other actor in the show.....I don't remember the set, and my collection of old play scripts does not include that particular play.

I was......disconcerted at the memory.

I've been pulling together the various threads in the beginning process of directing Williams' CAT.  The first parts of the process are scary for me; looking at schedules and wondering about time....looking at the calendar and wondering if anybody will come an audition....wondering if my poor reputation as a serious theatrical professional will scare people off, regardless of my actual reputation as a first class idiot, which can never be off-putting.

Seriously, I have a merit badge in Idiocy.

I have a set in my head; no walls, just doors and furniture.  Everything can be seen from everywhere; there is no hiding or lying.

Most importantly, I have begun to hear the voices; the characters are beginning to talk to me.  I can hear the music.  So, I'm less worried than I was a while ago.

And of course, auditions aren't until early February.  So, I have time.

The outside of the house is decorated in the traditional Historiclemo way.  The interior will wait just a little longer.  I have made some purchases, and will make a few more before the end of the week.  A list of wants has been requested by my better half, and I am having a terrible time coming up with anything resembling a list.

One thing, apparently, is not a list.

Can you believe how quickly things more these days?

No comments: