Friday, May 4, 2012

When you look through the years and see what you could have been....what you might have been...if you had had more time....

It's been a couple of days of rotten introspection.

It started with the Tony nominations.  I knew people.  One doing a lead in ONCE, and one in the revival of EVITA.

I am proud of them, of course; both of them have grown into amazing performers, even though I would bet money that neither one of them would know me if they knocked me into the gutter, as Judd Hirsch had done many years before.

At least Judd Hirsch helped me up.

The introspection comes from underneath the pride I felt for them, was the realization that I was appearing in an eight minute scene as a favor to a college student I've worked with on occasion up here in the Capitol City of the Northern State.  I enjoyed the gig, mind you......it had just the right amount of absurd humor and underlying creepiness to make it allll worthwhile.

But somewhere along this winding road that looks neither yellow or brick, I folded like a cheap suit.

Worse; I was never as good as I thought I was.

The introspection was concluded by several plays of TAKE THE LONG WAY HOME by Supertramp.

Annnnnnd scene.

4 comments:

Steve Gans said...

It's a sad fact of life that, just as others don't see us with 100% clarity, neither do we. And retrospection is an easy trap that I fall into way too often. I was astonished to find out that I wasn't the guy I thought I was. It sucks finding out that not everything was possible. If we can keep looking forward we can avoid becoming bitter old men.

Historiclemo said...

Old roomie, you're right; but part of the process of moving forward is to acknowledge those things that bother the s**t out of you; embrace, and release. I'm just about to the embracing part; I'm just past the "punching things" part.

Kizz said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one this happens to. To whom this happens.

Misti Ridiculous said...

I get it.
but..

I think...just because we wish something...doesn't mean it's supposed to come true. so whether by fate, or by free will...the path you are on is the one you're supposed to be on.

there's really no use in gnashing the teeth and sinking into "I coulda been a contender"...what you are is exactly what you're supposed to be. Right now. It's a waste of precious time.

that's what I think.