Saturday, May 23, 2009

And all because of a photo on FB.

Another beautiful North Dakota sunrise. And I'm awake to see it.

I'm acclimating, for the most part. My eyes don't ache at the end of the day; the feeling that I'm gonna spew blood out of my sockets has diminished somewhat.

I spent a little time yesterday at the airport, doing my old doings. It felt a little stranger than it should have, I think, given the fact that I've only been gone for two weeks. But the energy seemed shifted somewhat, and I'm not sure if it's me, or if it is, in fact, the energy.

That feeling of being misplaced somehow is a feeling that I only expect after long absences; and it's one of the reasons I'm not fond of formal reunions. I'm not exactly sure what I'm supposed to be in those situations.

Recently, I had the opportunity to go back to my old Alma Mater, and I walked around, basking in both the memories of what was, and the glory of what is. The area had changed so much; for the most part, my old stomping grounds were gone, or changed almost into unrecognizability by the passage of time, and the fingerprints of the other, youngers that have come after me. This wasn't really a source of pain for me, but a kind of temporary yearning. A desperate cry for the puzzle piece to fit into the different puzzle.

The people that I knew from long ago were still the people I knew; but it was not long ago anymore, and the passage of time has made us all different people, even though we frantically cling to the old moments as a kind of security blanket in the spinning top that is the movement from past to present to future. We had a common intersection point; but that point, like one of those new-fangled restore points on my trusty Dell, has been replaced by other intersection points in other venues and the bonds, though still there, have been.....faded....a bit.

After the inevitable walk down Memory Lane, or Amnesia Avenue....there's really not much to talk about. And perhaps it's because we really....WANT...to go back, just for a minute, and be those people. Again. And bask in one of those early days; when the sun was out and the sky was blue.

But you can't be those people again. The best you can hope for it to find a common ground in the here, based upon the intersection you had in the then.

No comments: