Tuesday, January 1, 2013

And.


Last year at this time, I made a brief list of things I wanted to do for the coming year.

In my own words:

"I would like to travel to several theatres of my past. I'm looking at a ten day trip that will take me to Clinton, IA, Evansville IN, Lexington, KY and Chillicothe, OH."
-I did this in July of 2012, just after my 50th birthday.  I changed plans a bit, and went through Michigan to visit my Father for a day or so before the trek; and then I wound up seeing a performance of TECUMSEH! in Chillicothe, OH; a production of JOSEPH at the Amphitheatre outside of Evansville, IN; and visited a bookstore and a bar I was fond of, as well as a walk down memory lane in Harrodsburg and Lexington, KY.  I also had a coney at Lipuma's in Rochester, MI, bought books at KING'S in Detroit, visited Chester, IL and the Popeye Museum, and the City Museum in St. Louis, MO.  I did not get to Clinton, IA; but I don't think they missed me much.

If I can't do that, I would like to go to Stratford, Ontario for a few days of Shakespeare.
-This is on my list for 2013.

I would like to do a play or two this year; there is one at the community theatre that sounds intriguing, but I would like to finish one of my own.
-I did NOT finish one of my own, but I started two of them.  I did two plays this year; DANCING AT LUGHNASA for the local college, and INSPECTING CAROL for the community theatre.  It led me to places I had not been in awhile; and in one case, reminded me of how I can be such a horse's ass.  Seeking remedy for the latter malady is on the list for 2013.

There is a new restaurant in OK that has promised me a sandwich. It's enough to fly a reunion of old friends, and finally meet some people I've been conversing with for many years.
-The restaurant, alas, is gone; and the reunion didn't get off the ground.  In the words of John Lennon, "Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans."  But I would really like to have a sandwich with some folks from OK.

Two words: Spring Training. I would like to see the Tigers play in Florida this year. I will settle for the Orioles.
-Went south as usual and watched the Tigers kick the crap out of the Rays in Port Charlotte, FL in March.  Rather than buy a Rays jersey, I went with the minor league club, the Stone Crabs.  And yes, even though the Tigers got crushed in the World Series...they got into the World Series.  And that's ALWAYS exciting for the city of my birth.

Vegas at Thanksgiving.
-Not actually Thanksgiving....but the Northern State clan invaded Bally's in Vegas for a huge Birthday blowout....gambling was done; relationships were tested; and the best prime rib in the known world was consumed.

Christmas with the family in Michigan. I have a hankering for my Sister's shortbread.
-Didn't get there this year, but the usual festivities took place at Casa Historiclemo.  A ton of food was cooked and consumed, presents were delightfully given and gratefully accepted.  The nieces and nephews are growing up.....and Yoda now stands watch over my computer.  Talked to the family in Michigan on Christmas Day, and all are well.  Still miss the shortbread, though.
My friend Elizabeth suggests that the problem with my writing is that I don't do it.  That I need to sit down, every day, and do it....so, that's the goal for this year.

And produce a play.  I already have a name for the company.  I shall call it  The MT Space.

Thank you, Peter Brook.

And to you who read, my thanks.  All good things, in abundance, for as long as you can take it!
.

1 comment:

Kizz said...

It's not just me that says it. I read a lot of advice for writers in 2012 and, while many folks said other things too, every single person said that the biggest piece of advice was to write, keep writing, finish stuff. I'm going to give it a try. As far as I know it's the only thing that's worked for me in the past.