Thursday, January 26, 2012

In lieu of forward, backward.

The first day of what is my 'weekend' is basically a wind-down.  My days are usually high energy things, multi-tasking, answering questions quickly and getting information from faraway places on sometimes stubborn computer networks. 

Decompression is mandatory; and you have to do it slowly, or you get the bends.  And that's not pleasant.  Unless you're Gumby.

Sometimes, friends and neighbors, I wish I could drink.  I always seemed to decompress easier and faster with a bourbon and branch in my hand.  And a cheeseburger.

But, instead, I find that simple chores tend to allow for the kind of decompression I desire.  Laundry, dishes, getting a haircut.....just walking around in a Best Buy, creatively avoiding the Blue Shirts that want to know if they can help me when all I want to is to look a the electronics and DVDs.

Found the John Adams series on DVD for twenty bucks.  Score.

Today, I went wading back through this very long conversation, looking back at what I was writing about at this time.

A year ago, I was writing about my experiences in preparing for a production at the local community theatre.  One of the great things about my life thus far is that I have never stopped learning new things.  And acknowledging that I don't know everything.

Two years ago, I was writing about an old tavern I used to inhabit; warm, happy conversations, and bread sticks.  And a dash of cocoa and schnapps.

Three years ago, I was writing about The Inauguration; standing on the threshold of Hope.

Four years ago, I was writing about a Christian bumper sticker on a very un-Christian car.

Five years ago, I was doing very little writing.

Now, I have clean laundry, a cleared kitchen, and a nice haircut.

And I still have hope.

And a love of bread sticks.

1 comment:

Kizz said...

Hang on to it. Hope has been fucking hard to come by this week.