Friday, October 14, 2011

Rainy night in a tired town.

Yeah, I'm tired.  And against my better judgment, I'm having some health issues.  Nothing serious, mind you....the kind of health that are more of annoyance than an actual threat.  The show opens in a few days, and I'm finally beginning to THINK, rather than attempt to stare at the mental image of the page in which the lines are printed.  So, even if I hit a snag at this point, I can fumble around it, and fake it 'til I make it.

But that's not what I want to talk about.

My brain is adjusting to the huge ball of crap in the middle, by rolling around the ends; and these are places where I have not been for awhile.  Here there be tygers.

There's a life lesson is the smallest things, you know.

Years ago, when I was young and full of more, I came around the corner and saw the last person I expected.  She was standing in a small group, and as I came around the corner like a magic rabbit in a lame magic show, every eye turned in my direction.  Hers, as well.

Our eyes met for just a second; and even that second was more than I could bear.  I looked away.  I looked for an exit.  But it's never that easy.  I was slowly sucked into this small knot of people, not farther away from this person, but closer.

I was treated like a long lost friend, questions asked and answered, snarky comments made, and laughter earned.  When I looked up, she was gone.  Around the corner and through the looking glass.

And I made my excuses and went away as well, for I was late for something.  I was always late for something.  But what I really wanted to do is to give chase.

Smile at me again, as you did before.

But it was far too late for that.  Door closed and bolted; bridge burned.

But the glowing ember remains.

And I wish I didn't say what I said.  And I wish I could say what I wanted to say. 

And there's my life lesson.  Sometimes you need to think before speaking; and sometimes you need to speak without thinking. 

No comments: