Sunday, June 19, 2011

Random thoughts, and a tribute.....

I watched a tornado begin to form over my house late yesterday afternoon.  It was simultaneously an exciting and terrifying sight.  It spun itself up, and then dissipated.  All I kept thinking was, "well, this is going to ruin my day."

Discovered that I DO NOT have tickets to see MUCH ADO with Tennant/Tate.  I am more than unusually unhappy about that.  I will attempt to avoid crushing disappointment by seeing LEND ME A TENOR, the Musical (music composed by my old friend Brad Carroll) and perhaps something at the Globe...they're doing Marlowe's Faustus.  I'd like to see the RSC, but it's a two hour train ride, and my time is limited in London to a Friday (as long as I can stay awake) a Two Saturdays and a Sunday.

If this goes well...I may have to do it regularly.

I have my twenty four lines memorized for ROMEO AND JULIET.  All the fights are choreographed, and I would be literally going down for the third time if not for my fight captain, Austin Flemmer, and the fighters.  They've allowed me to tinker and toy and I think they look quite nice.  And the really great part is, we don't open until the middle of July.

THE UNTOUCHABLES is currently playing on the television.  I can remember seeing this with my Uncle during a Christmas break....I can recall it being a little melodramatic, but it had a really cool soundtrack....oh, and Sean Connery.  My feelings haven't changed:  melodramatic.  Sean Connery.  Good soundtrack.

Here's an open question....if you had a small amount of money to do something theatrical, what play would you do?

It's Father's Day.  In all the random thoughts, I'd like to take the time to speak of my Father.  He gave me my first Trumpet, which was his.  He gave my second car, and forever reminds me that I've pretty much destroyed every car I ever owned, or borrowed.  He tells the story of when my parents brought me back from the hospital, he somehow managed to destroy the paint on his car by scraping it along a snow fence.  He swears that the Car Gods were not after him...they were after me.  He attended all my early attempts at acting; and a few after I learned what I was doing.....He saved me from a swarm of bees when I was a kid; he taught me to relish the simple quiet that the cabin could provide.  He took me to baseball games, and bought the pizza during Superbowls.  He made the best chili I ever ate.  He grounded me when I was a rotten kid; he gave me a work ethic I carry to this day; he put three kids through college; and he's, bar none, the strongest man I've ever known.

Happy Father's Day, Dad.

2 comments:

ChromePlatedGirl said...

I would do THE RAINMAKER, Richard Nash. I love it so much. (I would have to play Lizzie, though. I wouldn't just produce it.)

Kizz said...

I would definitely do something by Sara Ruhl, probably Eurydice but I'd have to read through the canon again to make sure. And, like Chrome, I'd be in it. For sure.