Sunday, July 4, 2010

Put the old songs on the radio, and drive, buddy, DRIVE.

I follow a few blogs; and through those blogs, I follow a few others, and so on and so on....

I usually find either great wisdom, great stories, or great wisdom subtly embedded in a great story. Most of the people I read, I have known for some time; at least a decade, and in some cases, more. But I find as I read that the gulf between what we were and what we are has gotten large enough that...well, I long for the days of the true connection, and at the same time bathe in the idea that there is more to learn.

Ah, we must believe that there is always more to learn.

I will admit, that sometimes I learn more than my own tiny world can handle, but even the uncomfortable information is important.

Yeah, I told you that to tell you this:

Recently, I read one of my friends, and she is suffering pretty much the same malady that I'm suffering; the lack of any fundamental world outside of our responsibilities. I find it appalling, in my life at least (I cannot speak for her) that I don't have any outlet from my work and my home life.

I've lost touch with so many parts of myself that I wonder if any of them can be gathered in one place again. I'm enjoying (as you know if you've read any of my previous missives) the sojourn back into the world of the make-believe, and I'm going to try and keep that one on the front burner.....but I miss the old friends, scattered around the country, and in fact, the wide world.....and I long to get into the car and drive.

Places I would like to revisit:

Lexington Kentucky. I would like to eat and be merry with some old friends down there, visit the bookstores and the small interesting theatres, and put to rest the unrest that my original stay provoked.

Arroyo Grande California. My ego craves this one, actually, particularly since the theatre I worked at out there is re-working the reviews I created, and this summer they are doing the first show I ever did there. Oh, and Doc Burnstein's Ice Cream Lab is celebrating the 5th Anniversary of the Lab Show that I wrote and created. Or, created and wrote.

Sarasota Florida. Spent a week down there last spring, and the white sand beach haunts me still with the image of sunset. I hope it survives the current calamity. I think I'm going back next spring....my Father commands, and I obey. Twist my arm, Pop.

Various theatres in Evansville, Indiana; Harrodsburg, Kentucky; Norfolk, Virginia; Chillicothe, Ohio; just to relive some youthful exploits. Or try.

I have a ton of people in NYC that frequently request a visit.

Home. I have dreams of a certain Coney Island place. Lipumas, I long for thee.

The TRI STATE AREA! No, not the land of Phineas and Ferb, but Illinois, Missouri, and Iowa. I would like to see people in Des Moines, Canton, the Quad Cities, Quincy, Macomb, St, Louis, Hannibal, and Sedalia. I would go to Branson, but I'm afraid Andy Williams would make good his threat to punch me in the face and have me arrested. It's a long story.

I think it all comes down to the old faces, connected to the old places. Old friends, as the old Chapin song goes, mean much more than new friends...'cuz they can see where you are and they know where you've been.

I long to be seen by the old eyes for awhile. I'm finding it hard to breathe.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Lipumas, sure, but I could really go for a burger, seasoned fries, and a vanilla shake down the road at Red Knapps. :

Misti Ridiculous said...

longing for connection...and more.

i get that.

Reg said...

If you come to St. Louis, gimme a yell. I would dearly love to see you, too.