Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Past and Present merging into a tasty soup.

I'm two rehearsals in, and there is a sense of anticipation I haven't felt in a somnab**ch long time.

First of all, it's a strange sensation when you go into a rehearsal and sit at a table with a dozen or so people you've never really seen before, and trust that they know what they're doing. It goes against everything I've ever done, but everybody around me is trying new things, so I'm going to go out and try something new, as well.

And apparently, I know them, or they know me...or they know somebody I know...it has been like six degrees from Clemo. One fellow, whom I refer to as Baptista (the character he's playing) is part of the program at Bismarck State College; now, keep in mind that my nephew is head basketball coach at BSC, but that's not the connection; Baptista was a professor at Webster in St. Louis while I was a professor at Culver-Stockton, and I knew and well-liked a few of his students. Another actor (playing several of the smaller roles) is a student at University of Nebraska, where one of my old graduate school chums is Chair. And, tonight, I realized that the guy sitting next to me (playing Gremio) is related to me by marriage.

Small world.

The work really hasn't begun yet....we're in the obligatory read through and the necessary editing for time and meaning (purists need not apply), and the equally obligatory lesson on meter and rhyme and history of production and what variations on the theme and why we're not doing the Induction, even though Christopher Sly is an interesting character, even though he just sort of....fades away.....

The chief problem I am finding at this early stage is finding the hook; especially considering that the character of Hortensio seems to have been re-written, and in a prior incarnation he was simply a friend of Petruchio, and now he's a suitor of Bianca.....perhaps it's the fact that as a suitor, nobody takes him very seriously....

Aside from that....

The first time I did this show was when I was a young man of 18; several of the original cast of that production went on to Broadway; some went on to pretty decent careers within Actor's Equity; and some work for Homeland Security; but I can remember every single voice....and the wonderful set with the world's heaviest turntable.

Ah, memories.

No comments: