Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Anticipation with a healthy dose of uncertainty.

And, we're off.

Yesterday, at about 6PM, I received a phone call; the voice was one I didn't recognize, largely because I had only had a brief discussion with the person in question. Her name is Erin. She's a director. And apparently, I'm cast in a Shakespearean comedy.

If you're familiar with SHREW, TAMING OF THE (as we would say in government speak), then you can probably guess which role I've been cast in.

That's right. Hortensio.

Yup. Flummoxed me, as well, but I never look a gift horse in the mouth; a foot in the door is a foot in the door, and if somebody offers you a way back to think you enjoyed doing, you don't slap their hand. I just can't wait to find out the rest of the cast, and get to work....

I have to admit, I have a kind of trepidation. I've tried this before, back when I was living in California...this community theatre Shakespeare. And I had to abandon the project because it was driving me into a depression, or....maybe it was driving me FURTHER into an already established depression.

But I'm feeling much better now.

It plays for a single weekend; five performances, beginning on my birthday. I can fit it easily into my schedule, as long as I slightly adjust my sleeping habits, and I have the blessing and support of the lovely wife. So, I'm going to give it a shot.

So, I have something to write regularly about.

You lucky people.

Now, all I have to do is remember how to learn a script, developing a character, working well with others.....piece of cake.

And we ALL know how much I love cake.

1 comment:

Kizz said...

Huzzah!

I suggest you bring cake to rehearsal as often as possible. It helps with the getting along with others part.