Saturday, September 4, 2010

FORE!

I want to be on a golf course.

And I'll tell you why.....stop me if you've heard this one before.

This is a story that came from a long night of rehearsal when I was a poorly paid but firmly dedicated college instructor. The rehearsal did not go very well, and I told this story.

I'm a golfer; I learned from my Father, who was a pretty decent golfer, and I did not, alas, follow in his footsteps. I had more bad rounds than I had good rounds...but I didn't care too much, because there was something special about the feel of the air and the smell of the grass on an early Saturday morning....

And every so often, when the Gods of Golf smile down at you, the club will swing just right, the wrists will be just ever so....and the shot will be juuuuust perfect. They don't come often, so you really appreciate them when they do come.

And, when it DOES happen, you think to yourself, "Wow. If I could put two or three shots like that together, I could par a hole. And if I could put a couple of pars together, I could have a pretty decent round...." And the next thing you know, that ONE SHOT has got you just inches away from playing at Augusta.

Oh, and I've walked Augusta. It's a very nice course.

And then, of course, you dream of Green Jackets and what you'll ask to be served the next year at the dinner.....all because of one....good....shot.

And without that one shot, you'd throw the clubs into the water hazard, and head for the car.

One shot brings you back next week to try again.

And that's the lesson of Golf, my friends.....no matter how bad it gets, there is going to be one shot that will bring you back to try it again next week.

2 comments:

Reg said...

Golf is a good walk spoiled.

Gertrude said...

I am sending a link to your blog to my other... in so many, fine, good, nice ways... he reminds me of you. Thats a very decent and kind thing of me to say of you both.
I am a lucky girl... to have two completely separate individuals... two male individuals in my life that I respect and admire.
Both I love. And one I sleep with every night.
You have taught me much Dear Clemo.
Much gratitude. Gert