Friday, April 15, 2011

One More Poem.

Spike Milligan is one of my heroes.....a brilliant writer, an eccentric performer, creator of some of the best characters ever (Eccles, Bluebottle, and Neddie Seagoon), and the soothing balm for my younger soul. I don't think I've ever laughed so hard as I did the first time I heard THE GOON SHOW on the BBC back in 1979.....and Spike's sense of hilarity gave me a greater appreciation for MONTY PYTHON and it's like.

Ironically, Spike died the very night before I was to choreograph one of his songs in a review I was doing in California back in 2002.

I excused myself to the back of the theatre for five minutes to weep for the man I never got a chance to meet.

This poem is one of my favorites.


On the Ning Nang Nong
Where the Cows go Bong!
And the monkeys all say BOO!
There's a Nong Nang Ning
Where the trees go Ping!
And the tea pots Jibber Jabber Joo!
On the Nong Ning Nang
All the mice go Clang!
And you just can't catch 'em when they do!
So it's Ning Nang Nong
Cows go Bong!
Nong Nang Ning
Trees go Ping!
Nong Ning Nang
The mice go Clang!
What a noisy place to belong
is the Ning Nang Ning Nang Nong!!

1 comment:

Misti Ridiculous said...

this is one of my faves. my sr year in college a few of us did a Poetry In Motion thing, wrote a grant, and got money to perform at elementary schools in the community. This one, we rapped gangsta style.