Sunday, July 10, 2011

Wandering Mind.

And I was getting sooooo used to NOT working.

Back in the saddle, as they say, and I have the saddle sores to prove it.  My trip the the imaginary land did not really destroy my sleep habits; being six hours ahead of the Central time zone, when I was rising at 6 AM, it was like Midnight, and I was used to living in those hours.  But when I got home, and acclimated...well....last night's shift was pretty close to unbearable without actually BEING unbearable.

Friday night was almost a disaster.  Had a whole night for working the stage fights from Romeo and Juliet, and everything was going swimmingly, until one of the actors took a sword in the face.  Yup.  My worst nightmare, made real.  The actor in question is okay; he was thoroughly checked out and there is no lasting damage outside of a bruise; but he won't be fighting for a couple of days.  I've rethought the fights over and over and have decided that I'm not changing that moment.  It was a legitimate accident, folks.  On Friday, they had done the same bit a half a dozen times with no problems and this one time things got weak and an accident happened.  I do not see any reason to change the fight.  Every single moment of each fight has the possibility of just such an accident, and I cannot second guess every choice I've made in the choreography of these fights.  So, they stay as is.

This does not alter my feelings of regret at the accident, however.  I hope never to feel that feeling again as I ran to the stage, fearing the worst.  I am glad it wasn't worse. 

My performance, at this point, is a little one-dimensional.  I do a lot of chastising, and I find myself raging far too much, and thinking far too little.  I need to unclench my fist a little and look beyond, but I'm about five rehearsals behind due to my travels, so the book is still in my head.  But it will come.  I don't know how.  It's a mystery.

One of the sad truths of my adulthood is that I've completely forgotten the joy of Summer.  Work schedules, obligations, and a newly discovered allergy to the sun has taken all the fun out of summertime.

Yes, you read that right.  I have developed an allergy to the sun.  Too much sun, even with the sun block, has me breaking out in a painful rash.  As of now, it's usually limited to my hands and arms, but it's ugly and painful.

There are some delightful snippets of Summertime, though.  Corn on the Cob, for example.  Chicken grilled on the fire.  Homemade ice cream.

And the Tigers are playing pretty well.

So.....

2 comments:

Kizz said...

I figure we just have to savor the moments that feel like summer.

Glad the actor is OK.

Misti Ridiculous said...

I get the rash too. On my chest. It's gross and itchy and painful. Im so busy being busy and worrying, I have yet to relax and have some summertime moments. I get it. and it sucks.