Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Facial Paralysis Brought On By Too Much Night; Or, You Do WHAT For A Living?

On the plus side, I've been getting to the gym after work.

On the opposite of plus side, I've been getting off of work at 0500.

On the plus side, the job plays to my misanthropic nature.

On the opposite of plus side...well, FAUXNEWS CHANNEL.

On the plus side, the sleep is deep.

On the opposite of plus side, I can't remember what day it is, and I can't seem to get anything accomplished until my system acclimates....

IN OTHER NEWS....

An old professor of mine retired last weekend, after 30 years of service. James Panowski would be considered by some to be the no-nonsense, black and white taskmaster that gave us the necessary dose of discipline that every wannabe performer type really needs. He didn't put up with the crap that comes with being an eighteen-to-twenty-one-I'm-just-a-misunderstood-genius-and-oh-can't-you-see-me-suffering-for-my-art? type. He spoke truth to ego. Often, in public. And his arrows more often than not hit home, and the lessons remain long after the glitter faded.

In private, however, he was a gregarious man; if you needed, he provided. I hope that everybody had a chance to see that side of him.

Or maybe, given the fact that I was one messed up pup at that particular signpost on the lifeway gave him a chance to stretch those empathy muscles....but I'm not here to analyze Caesar, I'm here to praise him.

I had a chance to see him at the beginning of February, and it had been over twenty years since I had seen him last. And he recognized me, and he shook my hand that turned into an embrace, and for just a minute I was nineteen again. And that in itself was awkward; but only for a moment.

After that, it was like home.

SEEMINGLY RANDOM COMMENT:

This morning, I had the opportunity to see a re-make of SLEUTH, with Jude Law and Michael Caine. I looked a bit forward to it, because it's a really good play (which I've had the pleasure of doing) and great in it's original film form (with Laurence Olivier and Michael Caine).

They managed to update it, take all the fun out of it, change the subtext of both the characters, and turn it into something it should never have been.

I realize that the "thumbs up" thing is trademarked, so I'm giving SLEUTH the finger.

STATEMENT OF FACT:

I'm hungry and so I'm done here.

EXIT LINE:
Thank you, and good night Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are.....

1 comment:

Gertrude said...

atta boy on the gym! Sucks doesn't it?