Friday, May 29, 2009

300. Good for bowling and batting averages.

I was poking around my previous posts, and came across a draft that I never finished. It goes thus:

A sustained note, while initially gratifying, quickly turns to noise; a kind of static that our twenty-first century ears and brains quickly shut out as quickly and easily as shutting a door; for the sustained note ceases to be music after a while. The changes from note to note; the relief of that change, is what fascinates us, stimulates us, causes us to sit up in wonder and astonishment, and in most cases with us creative types, makes us wish to bask in its glory and emulate it.

The changes are the color of the music.

It is not a far reach, as we used to say in the Lakes region of the North where I mis-spent my youth, to apply the same metaphor to the general day-to-day of existence.

The changes are the color of life.

Why is it, then, that the changes we seem to crave in art anger us in life?


There's an irony to finding this, of course....this is my 300th post. And with every anniversary, more notes, more changes, more craving, more anger.

The lines that appear more abundantly as the years pass by are like a trumpet call, a reveille, if you will, announcing that I had better do something now if I'm going to do something at all. A bugle call to action.

Well.
At least it's better than taps.

The memories of things past are like the violin; a phrasing that is hard to ignore, but easily lost in the cacophony of the other instruments. But, when it comes to the forefront, such beauty as to make a man weep.

The thousand aches and pains of the body are like the discordant notes of the bagpipe. It's very hard to hear anything else when the bagpipe is playing. But, in the defense of the bagpipe, it is strangely appealing to listen to, for a little while. So, I give the aches and pains their attention.

The comings and goings of old and new friends; like the blues progression on a good guitar. You feel the angst without actually experiencing it. But you yearn to help the player.

Its amazing just how much life is like music.

I wonder why I don't sing more often.

No comments: