Saturday, August 9, 2008

Stirred.

I have found myself, in this strange middle part of my life, in an almost voyeuristic position of communicating with friends and former lovers on various community pages, such as Myspace and Facebook.

And it's a cross between flattering and frightening how much they remember, how much they've forgotten, and how much they still care. Flattering, because I've never considered myself very much of a memorable person; and Frightening, because apparently I AM a memorable person, and with that awesome responsibility, I should have taken it more seriously.

But this evening, as I was perusing and pestering, I came across a photo of two of them, in a kind of reunion; both former students of mine, and both well cherished in my often hurt and seldom healed heart.

And it took me back......

During a certain fall of a certain year in the decade known as the 90's, I put together a little production of a play. And I cast it, much as I had cast any other show. I had a habit of casting a nice variety of people who are "anchors" within the program, as well as new faces; it was my way to prove diversity within my corner of the program, and it was gratifying that I could actually get 10 percent of the campus to come and audition because they figured they had just as much a shot as everybody else, and they saw that it could be fun.

Not a bad legacy. But I digress.

Little did I know that during that certain fall in that certain year, I would put together a show that would transcend everything I did with it; that the performances I would see on that stage would be, in my opinion, the best I had ever seen on that stage; and oh, the audience reaction.....

They were so. very. good.

There were other productions, each with their own personalities, each with their greatness and their flaws, but it was that ONE that sticks forever in my mind. And those people, those faces......forever young.

And with August making it's way to September, My heart soars at the memory.

1 comment:

Gertrude said...

How have I missed two delicous Clemo posts?
Head sand buried. Covered in love and light.
And your posts demand the longest word verifications ever... I am just saying. I never get it right on the first try. aiaqwnkz.