Tuesday, March 11, 2008

A song-inspired tribute to the only one I need.

When I met my wife in the summer of '99, she wasn't interested in dating an actor. In fact, she had a rule about it. The rule was simple: no actors. And of course, the rule was actually extended for me: no actors, especially actors of questionable sanity, with hair down to the middle of their backs.

I don't know quite how it happened. But one day, she invited me over to her house for pizza. I slept on the couch. I never left. And to this day, we have been together.

I've changed. From terrible debt to some solvency; from sunny California to..uh..North Dakota; from long haired travelling actor to adultified government servant; from wondering why I was alone to understanding that this was what I was supposed to be waiting for. And all for this woman whom I look forward to seeing at the end of the day, and in the morning before the day begins.

She is in every way, shape, and form, the better part of me. And the fact that she loves me negates some of those things that would have prevented my entering heaven.

And I don't really need to know how it happened.


You can take all the tea in china
Put it in a big brown bag for me
Sail right around the seven oceans
Drop it straight into the deep blue sea
Shes as sweet as tupelo honey
Shes an angel of the first degree
Shes as sweet as tupelo honey
Just like honey from the bee

You cant stop us on the road to freedom
You cant keep us cause our eyes can see
Men with insight, men in granite
Knights in armor bent on chivalry
Shes as sweet as tupelo honey
Shes an angel of the first degree
Shes as sweet as tupelo honey
Just like honey from the bee

2 comments:

Gertrude said...

I love that song. Van Morrison. It was used at the end of Russell Crowe/Meg Ryan movie that changed her life: Proof of Life. And I loved it.
Even though I don't necessarily believe true love exists for me...
I am always inspired when I read it exists for others.
Looks like she has done some good work too.
Congratulations...
Nice writing.

Misti Ridiculous said...

YES! i want that . just like that. good job darling man. good job.